Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

I need to post something............so how about a little DIY?!

No paper crafting from me lately, I have been missing it. But I embarked on redecorating our living room, and well the rest of the house too!:) I wish I would have remember to take a picture of the ceiling before I took down the drop ceiling. Yes, every room in this house has the oh so horrid 1970's office look drop ceilings. And I couldn't be happier to take them to the curb!!!
Here is one before and after. My excitement about this project is what I used on the ceiling. I'll tell you that in a minute!

And another before/after. Not going to paint the pretty oak door my husband installed last year! It just goes to the basement, but it still looks nice!
OK, last one. Now, doesn't the woodwork look so much better? It really lightens up everything. And I am going tomorrow shopping for wallpaper. I am really not a fan of it, but there is about 4 really stuck on layers of it right now, and I am NOT scraping it off!!! So after I put that up, I will share just one pic of the finished room! OK, now onto the faux ceiling treatment, any guesses? It is tissue gift wrap!! When I told my husband I was putting tissue paper on the ceiling, he said that it would take me forever. He thought I meant toilet tissue!! a big LOL I let out!! Couldn't help myself!:) Anyway, you paint a little section, crinkle up the tissue, spread it out and stick it on the ceiling. There are a few tricks I had to learn along the way, but it all worked out. It gives the look of a swirled/pulled plaster textured ceiling. And it hides a lot of imperfections. Once it is dry, then you paint over top of it all. This room is 15 feet by 14 feet, and took me about six hours. I bet the wallpapering will take that long too! Ugh! Well, thanks for having a look at my DIY project today!!







6 comments:

Melissa Czapor said...

Looks awesome! I NEVER would have thought of that!

Meggymay said...

Gosh you have been busy. I would never of guessed what you used for the ceiling, it looks so textured.
Yvonne

bumblebee creations said...

oh my goodness, genius!! You should get the DIY award for the year! Looks great!

Netty said...

I total agree with Bumblebee creations, totally genius and definitely deserve a DIY award Pam, Annette x

cheryl said...

gosh hun,brilliant totally,awesome,super DIY hun
hope to be back to blogging,properly now,love massive hugs Cherylxxxxx

Anonymous said...

You have lots more energy than I do, lol! I love the ceiling idea... tissue paper scrunched and painted over looks awesome... all that texture!
will look for the final result photos! :D
Hugs,
Beth